Reflecting upon Spirituality and Prayer
On the evening of Monday 12th December 2016, Brigg PCC met. One of the agenda items for discussion was carried over from our last Developing Discipleship Programme session in November – a discussion about prayer. During the course of this discussion, we listed some of the ways that we, individually and corporately, pray. Some of those present called to mind the teaching material on prayer and spirituality that has been included in the monthly notices the past. There have also been many resources made available in the prayer corner when we’ve had focused events, such as the Archbishops Week of Prayer for the Nation, our Days of Prayer, for the buildings project, for our work of Mission and Evangelism, and so forth. (I can print off any of these if you haven’t seen them, just let me know.) The meeting felt that it would be good to re-establish this pattern of teaching, which will serve both as a refresher, and to help those who are perhaps new to the faith.
Over the coming months, we will attempt to offer you some thoughts, models and reflections on prayer written by Fr. Owain. Some of what we offer may be new, some familiar.
- January 2017 – Broad introduction to what prayer is.
- February 2017- My typical daily prayer life and key methods of prayer to deepen our relationship with God.
- March 2017 – Ways in which to pray.
- April 2017 – Stewardship.
- May 2017 – Moral and ethical implications of our relationship with God.
- June 2017 – The Great Commission, Matthew 28:17-20, following our calling.
- July 2017 – Reflecting on a Rule of Life.
- August 2017 – The intertwining of our attention to God and the working of the Holy Spirit within us as we imitate Christ and our vocation to go and make new disciples.
- September 2017 – Practical daily prayer resources.
- October 2017 – Fr Owain’s five favourite Christian, faith based books.
Please do contact me if you want me to look at a specific area of spirituality and prayer, and please feel free to share some of your own patterns, models and favourite prayers to include in these reflections. And as ever, please do not hesitate to contact me if you would like to meet up and discuss your own prayer life and spirituality – 01652 653989